Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Henrys_snook jims_snook

Jasons_snook Jims_jack

Well, it is that time of year again where we get together to remember our friend Michael Shields, who sadly passed away unexpectedly, fourteen years ago of bone cancer....! Like many of us he loved to go fishing. What better way to celebrate him, but to go fishing in his name with all his friends. Better yet let's go during the MULLET RUN! Even Better than that..., Let's try and raise money for a good cause, like the Boys and Girls Clubs of Martin County.

The second, annual, Michael Shields Memorial Tournament has now come and gone with great success, and it looks like we may have raised about forty five thousand dollars!!! Way to go Mike.. He would be so happy, I am sure. Even though my team did not win, we came close, and we had a great time!

We started out just after the captain's meeting and headed out to our first spot in the Indian River where we hooked a nice snook under one of the lights on an artificial lure. The tide was still going out, so the fishing was a bit slow. We headed to our second spot and when we got there of course it had to be opening day of snook season, so every one and there brother were fishing the same area we were. We fished it for a little while only drawing a hit or two prompting us to move up to the incoming tide. We ran up to the inlet to scout out a spot for the morning only to find out the hard way that is was only two inches deep. By then the tide had switched, so we headed back to the St. Lucie River. The fish really started to feed by then as we hook three more snook on artificials. They were all 24" to 25". We were also fishing with live mullet when we caught a nice 34" snook. He took us for a ride around the docks. That was fun. We lost a few fish we suspected were tarpon never really seeing them. After the sun came up the tide switched to outgoing again, so we headed up to the north fork where I found my brother, who was also competing in the tournament, fighting a nice tarpon over a hundred pounds. This was about nine in the morning. We went and got resupplied with bait and ultimately set some mullet near where my brother hooked his fish. We put out our baits and got about five big Tarpon to swallow our baits but for some reason, none of the hooks found their mark. Time was running out for the tournament, so we headed back to turn in our cards. On the way back we tried for some trout to no avail, but did land a nice Jack and a bunch of keeper snapper! We passed my brother and he was still fighting the tarpon. We stopped to watch for a bit before we had to go. Turns out they fought it on twenty pound tackle from 8:30 in the morning to 2:30 in the afternoon. Since we had to turn our score cards in by three, they put the heat on it, when wouldn't you know it....POP! Sadly, the fish decided it didn't want to pose for pictures....Yep another big one got away... Turns out someone caught a 42" inch snook and a 36" snook, putting us in the third place snook spot... not too bad.. We had a great time and raised an awesome amount of money for Boys and Girls Club of Martin County!


0 #1 Vaneff 2010-09-24 01:25
Nice job on that tourny Captain Neff!

You must register to make a comment!

burdur escort trabzon escort karşıyaka escort karaman escort